It’s almost time to move (back) on to campus for a lot of college students out there. I know there are hundreds of “What to Pack For College” lists out there – just search pinterest and over 20 different, unique ones come up. But how about a what NOT to pack list? Yes, what you should just leave at home, what is a waste of space, what you’ll never need..
So here we go.
- EVERY item of clothing you own. Let’s be realistic, you’ll never wear 30 different pairs of shoes, or 15 different hoodies. Stick to the essentials, and pieces that can be worn multiple seasons. Stick to basic colors for pants, or hoodies, neutrals that go with lots of outfits. And remember, fall break is only 2 months away, and Thanksgiving only a month after that – plenty of time to bring those winter jackets and Ugg boots back with you.
- Don’t pack a ton of spring and summer clothes. Yes, it’s hot right now, but fall comes much quicker than you want to think, and that pair of white jeans won’t get as much use as a thermal shirt or regular jeans.
(photo via http://www.collegefashion.net)
- Anything expensive that you would miss if it got lost, stolen or broken. Yeah, you want to bring your Michael Kors watch, but unless you wear it 24/7, any time off your wrist is time for something to happen to it. Sentimental items that can never be replaced fall into this category too. You’ll only be away from home for a little bit, so part with it for a few months, knowing it’s safe to keep for the rest of your life.
- DVDs or Video games in their cases. These will take up so much space that could be better served for other items. Bestbuy, Walmart, everywhere sells DVD/CD wallets. Remember those? One of these takes up the space of 3 DVD cases but holds over 30 DVDs. Don’t try to impress your floormates with your DVD case collection! Also, NETFLIX and Amazon Prime are lovely things when it comes to movies!
- Books. These are heavy to lug back and forth, and again take up a ton of space. While you MAY have a little time to read when you’re not studying, your best bet is to download a Kindle app on your phone, ipad, computer, what have you. And, as a student with a college email address you can get Amazon Prime for free. That means lots of free Kindle books, plus TV shows and movies (See point above). And, you get free 2-day shipping on ANYTHING from amazon.com!
(photos via amazon.com)
- A TV. While this may not necessarily be a “definite,” the majority of people these days watch everything on their laptop/ipad. So, if you’re someone who’d rather watch Netflix than primetime, skip the TV.
(photo via www.iidudu.com)
What do you consider a non-essential for college move-in?
What’s something you didn’t pack that you wish you had?